DS

01 March 2008

Experience of coming out from Shiyam's House in Maafannu, Male', Maldives

At 12:30am I came out of Shiyam's house with my friend. Shiyam's house is in an alleyway inside a small lane (goalhi) in Maafannu. Shiyaam lives on the 2nd floor of the furthest house from the 4 houses in the alleyway. The alleyway was created when the 1000sq house of Shiyam's land owner's grandma was sliced into 4 pieces (excluding the area of the road) to divide among the very competitive siblings who were able to build 4 bread slice like towers on each piece of the land they inherited. Shiyam is just renting a room (with attached toilet) there.

As I came out from the Alleyway onto the road I heard two people speaking. Sounded like very serious conversation. But in a Hindish kind of foreign language. As the conversation went further the music of suspense was added. At that point I realized that it must be a movie. The sound was coming from a Store Room (Godown). A building made with metal roofing sheets covering the walls and the roofs. It gets really hot in the afternoons in these buildings. But traditionally these were made to store non-perishable goods by businesses and the government. But why would these commodities be watching a movie? I don't understand. There was a little window like opening to the outside. I saw two Kondu-Kendi (under shirts) and one blue men's briefs hung on a red nylon rope.

Then I heard the phone ringing. Sounded like it's coming from the movie due to the ringtone. I heard the voice of a person talking on the phone. And the voice came closer and closer to me. From the window I saw a human holding a Nokia phone which is sold for RF 650 from Dhiraagu (with 7 days warranty). He was speaking in a Hindish kind of language too. He seemed like a malnourished young adult from either Bangladesh or India.

And then I raced off on my friend's Honda Wave 100s.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose human rights refers to maldivian rights...

 
At 4:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting as always, seems like you cut the story short...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home